Monday, May 11, 2015

The Rumbai/Duri Middle School Field Trip 2015



The Rumbai/Duri Middle School Trip to Sulawesi was exciting! We went snorkeling, hiking, and boat riding. I have been to many trips in my five years living in Rumbai. It was one of the best!

The best part to me was seeing the sea turtles. They were 60 feet below our faces. All you could see was blue when you looked below. Suddenly you would see a green oval swimming in the distance. It was a green sea turtle! That was the best part for me because I have never seen a sea turtle when snorkeling. 


Another fun part was seeing the dolphins flop up and down. We went on a motor boat, speeding to our next snorkeling location. Suddenly there was a loud splash, and another! Everyone looked around to see what it was. Spinner dolphins! There was a large pack of them swimming eight feet from our boat. They jumped up and down splashing in the sea. It seemed like they were more excited seeing us, than us seeing them. 

Tarsiers was very enjoyable as well. We went on a major bus ride and hike to get to see the Tarsiers. It was worth it. I didn’t even know the animal existed! I haven’t seen any photos or anything. I didn’t know what I was looking for. We kept hiking, then we showed up at a large, gigantic, tree. The tour guide shined his black flashlight on the tree. There was a little, furry, brown leg. I will give you one guess on what it is. A squirrel! No, just joking! It was a Tarsier. After about one minute it came out and showed it’s self. It was super small. But it has the largest eyes ever! It actually has the largest eyes out of every mammal! It was marvelous!


The main reason we went on this trip is to form friendships with the kids from Duri. I hardly knew any kids there. Now I think I can name of every one of them. Without the kids from Duri this trip wouldn't have been as fun. We also went on the to see the impacts of man destroying nature and nature stabbing back at mankind. There was lots of trash in the ocean and on the shore. But nature was also taking over humans. There was an old, beat up, house that was taken over by leaves and vines. 


Overall it was one of the best trips I have been on. It was fun going with all my friends and making new ones from Duri. Seeing the dolphins, sea, turtles, starfish, and other marine life/animals was extraordinary! I will cherish that week forever! 


Written By: Aiden Sullivan

Photos: Mrs. Clare, Mr. Johnson, Mr. Drew, Aiden Sullivan

1 comment:

  1. Another outstanding video. Thanks for capturing the memories for the folks you left behind in Rumbai. I'm glad you had such a fun adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment here!

My Email

aidens@isriau.org

Have A Suggestion?

If you want me to change something or do a video please contact me by looking above.